Monday, July 19, 2010

Ideas for class project

I teach at an International Baccalaureate (IB) high school. IB stresses an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and to that end they require that our students do an interdisciplinary project. In the past we have given the students Energy as the theme of their project, had them organize themselves into mixed science groups of 4 students and they have looked to data that would defend the development of an alternate energy source in a country other than where we live. There is a lot of room for improvement here that would incorporate what I have learned in this course.

First, the students will each have a wiki to contribute their ideas to, and they will watch the In Plain English video as a tutorial first.

Next, the six teachers who teach these 9 classes of students will find some sample "stimulative" data sets. We will each use the sets of data to practice looking at trends and drawing conclusions. The students will also learn what types of agencies and organizations provide data for analysis for this project.

After the students create their data-based research project on Power Point, they will post it on their wikis and other students will view them and comment on at least 3 of them.

Those are my ideas so far. I'd love suggestions for how I could improve the project or use more web tools.

1 comment:

  1. I think that sounds really good. I'm going to incorporate some data analysis exercises too. Im thinking that I'm going to give students alternate choices for project presentations. I think I'll let them choose between doing a Prezi, a video, glogster, and maybe even a Tagxedo with a written reflection/interpretation. That will create some diversity and increase their repetoire of web tools. Would that work for you?

    ReplyDelete