Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reflections on Week 3 readings

I was pleased to read another confirmation of the importance of images and video in learning. With a large ESOL population, my school has been using images and video to close the achievement gap. Many of our teachers start each unit with a game of "concentration" in which the students match pictures and background vocabulary terms. We also provide graphic organizers that provide a place for students to draw an image that will help students understand the new vocabulary. I feel that the reading gave me another idea to enhance what we are already doing and that is to make sure that all of these practices are guided and structured. We will probably need to share some of the best images that the students create to make sure that they haven't drawn incorrect use useless images.

I also liked that the author distinguished between useful images and decorative distractions. A boarder around your worksheet is NOT a useful image; it's a waste of toner!

I was also struck by the instruction to use questioning as opposed to telling about an image/video. When I teach about entropy I show a commercial (by State Farm) that shows some accidents in reverse. I need to simply ask my students, "Why did I show you this video? How does this video relate to today's lesson?" Soooooo, much more effective when the students have to use their own brains to make the connections.

Finally, I need to put more effort into getting permission for the videos I use. I'll probably have to figure out how to record my own accident and play it in reverse. I need to model appopriate use.

2 comments:

  1. These are really great ideas for utilizing digital images in second language learners. I also really like your idea of teaching entropy with this crash video. What a great visual example! I also think using guided questioning strategies to help kids draw conclusions and make the connections themselves is always a more effective way of increasing engagement, understanding and retention. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete